The Tridentine diocesan museum - Trento
The Tridentine Diocesan Museum is located right downtown in Trento, close to the San Vigilio Cathedral, in the Palazzo Pretorio, which in the Upper Middle Ages was residence to the Prince-Bishops of Trento. Established in 1903, it features a noteworthy artistic and cultural heritage ranging from the 11th to the 19th century.
The Tridentine Diocesan Museum is located right downtown in Trento, close to the San Vigilio Cathedral, in the Palazzo Pretorio, which in the Upper Middle Ages was residence to the Prince-Bishops of Trento. Established in 1903 to house Diocese's artistic heritage, the Museum also hosts the early Christian basilica of San Vigilio, as well as the archeological artefacts dug out from the Cathedral ground between 1964 and 1977.
In the museum, the exhibits are arranged in chronological order by author or by cultural ambit. Thus, the section on local painters, and on their relationships with the nearby Lombard, Venetian and Austrian cultures from the Middle Ages to the Neoclassical Age, is followed by the section centred on wooden sculptures, featuring sculptures and altars made between the end of the 15th century and the second half of the 16th century. The itinerary then proceeds with a rich section on hangings and a specific one displaying several artefacts both from the Council of Trento and of the city's iconography. Special mention goes to the rare collection of Flemish tapestries and the Cathedral treasure exhibition. A peripheral branch of the museum was opened in Villa Lagarina in 2000.
The museum is accessible to disabled people, except for the Cappella palatina.
Notes on the accessibility to the site
Indicated parking is located in Via Garibaldi. Another four reserved lots are in Via Belenzani at about 50 mt. Indicated access door has a 5 cm threshold. Counter is 90 cm high. Inside the museum there are some ramps which length are variable from a minimum of 84 cm t a maximum of 149 cm with gradient from 7% to 15%. Access to the exposition rooms in the upper floors has a stair lift (250 kg capacity) and an elevator indicated. You can even virtually visit the “Torre Civica” thanks to a video station located on the second floor. Part of the rooms on the upper floors can be reached by steps. The accessible tapestry room has a 90 cm long ramp (12% slope) while the Treasure room located on the top floor can be reached with another stairlift of the same size as the one indicated. Equipped toilets are located on the ground floor and are preceded by a ramp 88 cm long with a 15% gradient, inside there are support handles on both the sides of the toilet.
Information collected by the staff of the Cooperative Handicrea
organized by Museo diocesano tridentino