The Castello di Stenico is an exhibition venue of the Castello del Buonconsiglio. It dates back to more than 2000 years, and was first built as a refuge for the Stoni, from which the town takes its name
The first documented information about the existence of the castle dates back to year 1053.In the 13th century it was owned by the Castelbarco family, who bequeathed it to the Venetians in 1411(until 1508). In the 17th century the castle returned to the Castelbarcos, Barons of Gresta, who donated it to the FAI (Italian National Trust) in 1977, which was crucial for the castle's restoration and enhancement.
The Castle of Arco is one of the most famous castles in the Trentino region. The scenery is striking if looked at from the remains of the Palazzo inferiore and the Rocca. The castle's precious treasure is its wonderful cycles of profane frescoes, which are a valuable evidence of the Gothic painting in the Trentino region.
Already mentioned in 1191, the castle was in a strategic position both for practicabilty control and economic exploitation of the iron mines.
Built in the 12th century, the castle became a tool of primary importance during the Middle Ages to control the road connecting Trento and Lake Garda. Unassailable from the flames, the castle is defended by two rows of walls.
The majestic complex dominates the village of Ivano Fracena and the eastern Valsugana
The distinguishing mark of Castel Valér is its beautiful octagonal tower, which is the highest one in Trentino (40 metres)
Its 1280 metres of altitude make it the highest castle in the region and one of the highest in Europe.
Medieval building with evident military function, situated on the right bank of the Val di Non valley
The castle was built in 1311; during the Napoleonic occupation it was abandoned.
Castel Beseno occupies an entire hilltop dominating the Valle dell'Adige, between Rovereto and Trento, and it can be reached by going through Besenello. Many historical battles took place in this fortress - i.e. the 1487 battle between Trentino troops and the Venetians, as well as the armed battles between the French revolutionists and the Austrians in the two world wars-. In 1973 the Trapp counts donated the Beseno castle to the Autonomous Province of Trento which carried out extensive re-construction works.
The oldest written source about the castle dates back to 1235. The building is currently owned by the Autonomous Province of Trento, which has refurbished it and transformed it into a prestigious venue for temporary exhibitions and cultural events.
In excellent conditions, this Medieval castle is a typical noble manor house
As the above Beseno Castle, Castel Pietra was the scenario of the clash between the imperial army Serenissima, and the princes of Trento, in particular the famous Calliano battle.
Castelfondo castle, built in the 12th century, rises on a rock spur towering above the village, in an unexpected position compared to the one of most medieval fortifications; as a result, this castle most probably had a function of refuge rather than of control
Pare sorgesse già prima del XII secolo come struttura posta a controllo del sistema viario del versante orientale del monte Bondone
Castel Cles was built in the 12th century as a fortification to control the underlying Roman road
A fortress that always brought to rivalries and disputes between the local families
Castel Firmian was built in 1480; it was the aristocratic residence of the lords of Mezzocorona and its history reflects that of the Piana Rotaliana. Its position allowed to control the traffic passing along the old road towards the Val di Non and the nearby ford across the river Noce.
Dominating Lagarina valley since the 11th century, the castle was initially a possession of the Castelbarco family and later of the Lodron family.
Palazzo Nero was a jurisdictional venue in the 15th century. Its fame is connected to the trial for witchcraft which took place between 1613 and 1615, involving 150 accused persons.
The striking palazzo is seat of the Magnifica Comunità di Fiemme and holds its documents and traditions. With its embattled walls, the building is Medieval in origin, but was transformed into a summer residence for the Bishops during the Renaissance.
Built on a rock spur dominating the village of Torbole, in ancient times it controlled the passage between Lake Garda and Lagarina valley.
Historians use to think Pergine Castle rises on the site of an old prehistoric fortress, which later became a Roman settlement; later on, it was transformed into a Longobard stronghold.
Mentioned from 1183, of the main castle are conserved the inner part of the walls, the barrel vaulted cistern and some spaces.
Restór castle is a perfect starting point for a fascinating autumnal visit to the Trentino castles.
The Bastion guards Riva del Garda and is one of the emblems of the town. The bastion was built at the beginning of the 16th century to protect the town as well as its inhabitants right after the Venetian domination of Riva had come to an end.
The castle was first mentioned in 1124, when the local community was allowed to build a castrum novum on the banks of the Garda. Later, the Rocca became a symbol of military might and a place where powerful families exercised their authority.
In a dominant position on the San Martino hill, the door-tower is the only portion of the original structure still visible.
The castle stands in Rovereto as a memorial and houses the Italian Historical War Museum. The core of the building dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries and was erected by the Castelbarco family as a fortress guarding their feudal power in the Val Lagarina